There is no other genuine invention for pool maintenance as a robotic cleaner. A robotic cleaner can perform a programmable cleaning without any guidance. It can also do water recirculation without connection to the pool’s filtration system, decreasing the amount of chemical treatment. With a robotic cleaner, the owner will spend time sunbathing near the pool, not taking care of water clearance. It has many advantages compared to automatic cleaners, especially manual ones.
The only outstanding issue with a robotic cleaner is how to choose a better one among such an extensive choice. One of the famous pool cleaner Manufacturers is Maytronics and their brand Dolphin, and in this article, two bestsellers will be compared – Dolphin Premier vs Sigma. The comparison will include a detailed description of each model.
Dolphin Premier vs Dolphin Sigma – Comparison Table
Main parameters of each cleaner are presented in the comparison table:
Last update on 2022-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIback to menu ↑
Main Difference Between the Models
These two pool robotic cleaners represent excellent quality machines with similar features, but some differences may help you choose from the two models.
- The choice of filters in the standard package of Dolphin Premier is more vivid – 4 different filters in Dolphin Premier vs. two filters in Dolphin Sigma.
- The access to the filters is different for the two models – Premier has bottom-load, and Sigma has top-load.
- The Sigma drive is more potent as it has three DC motors while Premier only has two.
- The duration of the cleaning cycle is different. Thanks to a more powerful drive, Dolphin Sigma finishes the cycle in two and a half hours vs. three hours for Dolphin Premier.
- The Sigma pool cleaner is equipped with a gyroscope that improves the stability of a cleaner during vertical scrubbing.
Detailed Product Reviews
DOLPHIN Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner with Powerful Dual Scrubbing Brushes and Multiple Filter Options
Dolphin Premier robotic cleaner is a good solution for an in-ground pool. Maytronics does this cleaner, which has a decent reputation in the production of such kinds of goods. The first Premier model was produced in 2012, and every year a lot of improvements were made. The additional plus from the Manufacturer is a three-year warranty without limitation of cycles per year to be performed as other cleaners.
The cleaner can climb up to a waterline and clean the stairs until they are in the water. The cleaner educates itself with every cleaning procedure and learns all curves of your pool with Smart Navigation Processor 2.0. In addition, a dual floating system stabilizes the cleaner during vertical cleaning.
The pool water is sucked through the top impeller and goes from the cleaner’s filters; the clean water goes out from another top exit of the cleaner and helps the cleaner move around the pool surface and climb the walls.
At the bottom, the access doors are located for debris that also goes to the filter. The filter can be quickly taken out from the bottom by changing the position of the yellow plastic clips. The filter is set on the plastic frame and consists of four cartridges with different mesh sizes (fine for everyday cleaning or ultra-fine for sand and mud). The cleaning process typically takes a couple of minutes using a freshwater jet. For large debris, a bag can be used that is installed instead of a plastic frame at the bottom of the cleaner. If you are lazy to clean the filters, the disposal bags are available to throw them away with debris.
The power supply is basic. The power button is located on the separate control panel. The panel also has an indicator of a clogged filter (meaning you need to clean it), a reset button, and three different timers (every day, twice a week, or every other day). The control panel has a timer and will start the cleaning without the owner’s presence. By default, the cleaner will clean in 3-hour mode. The cable is connected to the panel to the particular port.
To start the work of a cleaner, you need to put the cleaner in the water; it will perfectly sink into the pool after it is filled with the water. Then you need to turn the power on the control station, choose the mode, and that is it! The whole process to start takes about 5 minutes.
The swivel tangle-free cable is a unique feature of Maytronics pool cleaners; you will forget about cable disruptions during pool maintenance with it.
The owner has an option to buy a wireless remote additionally. From it, you can manually control the cleaner and make it go in the required part of the pool. To take the cleaner out of the pool, you can use the remote control, ask it to come to the required spot, or pull the cable. For more effortless lifting of the cleaner, an ergonomic handle is available. It is recommended not to leave a robotic cleaner in the pool after the cleaning procedure. Taking out the cleaner, cleaning the filter, and keeping the cable in good order takes about 10 minutes.
The cleaner should be kept in the shade in a dry place during not in use; it is better to store it on the specialized caddy; this helps to have a cable working for years and prevent damage to the cleaner’s bottom.
- Premier has a plastic body to survive in water conditions smoothly
- Dual stabilizers on the handle allow the cleaner to perform better cleaning, especially vertically on the waterline
- Hypergrip dual trucks instead of wheels eliminate robotic slippery – new drive system
- Larger motors than any other dolphin robot with 90% more energy efficiency than previous models of cleaner
- Smart navigation processors 2.0 are installed to map the pool
- Powerful scrubbing rubber brushers with one rotation per second for tough debris
- It runs only on 180 W- 5 cents per hour to operate
- 360 degrees swivel on the cable ensures no tangling
- The extensive choice of filters inside the package – 4 different types
- Premier is not a budget cleaner
- No remote control inside the package or mobile application
- Quite a heavy cleaner for lifting out from the pool
- Bottom-load filter loading (this for sure depends on the owner’s preferences, but most of them prefer the top-load)
- The regular cleaning cycle is three hours
- No caddy in the package
Dolphin Sigma robotic cleaner is the first three motor cleaner in the world. These three 3000 RPM DC motors perform the highest suction power among other cleaners and make the flow rate 500 gallons per hour.
Due to gyroscope sensors on the three-axis, this cleaner has outstanding mobility and can climb all stairs and walls. The gyroscope sensors perfectly control the pool cleaner’s position, direction, and orientation. Dual independent drive allows one to turn in all directions and move around all obstacles. It can clean the pool even with a lot of angles and curves.
There are two big suction doors at the bottom of the cleaner where all debris goes and enters the filters. The cleaner has one of the largest cartridge filters with a top load. Therefore, the filters are quickly taken out from the top without additional clips. The standard package includes two filters: fine (for sand and mud) and standard ones (for leaves and other debris). Each set consists of four filters; two filters are assembled together in a cartridge with a plastic frame and s-clips, each cartridge is installed in a particular place with a plastic lid in the cleaner. It takes 10 minutes to clean these filters and 5 minutes to take the cleaner out of the water.
The pool navigation is maintained from the usual Dolphin separate control panel, where the power cable should be put. The other cable connection is already in the pool cleaner. As always, the precaution is that the power should not be turned on until the pool cleaner is in the water. In the swimming pool there should be no people as well. Also, please do not remove the foam rings during unpacking or cleaning the cleaner as they help climb the walls.
The owner can install a mobile app for manual navigation and control the cleaner using Bluetooth. The barcode on the control panel helps install the app without any genuine effort. The cleaner and other Dolphin products have three cleaning programs: every day, the second, and the third day. After the cleaner is put in the water, the cleaning program is chosen, and the power is on, the cleaner performs the job automatically.
It is also recommended to clean the cleaner after each cycle and store it in a dry place. To clean the cleaner, the owner has to lift it, drain it, and take out the filters. The water jet from the hose is sufficient to clean the filter and the cleaner internals.
- Gyroscope sensors establish perfect pool orientation for horizontal and vertical cleaning
- Two top-load extra-large filters to collect all debris
- Improved smart navigation 3.0 for pool mapping
- Powerful triple DC motors for efficient suction
- The cleaning cycle is two and half hours
- Swivel on the cable ensures no tangling
- Rubber trucks avoid any slippery
- Energy-efficient motors save a lot of electricity
- Mobile application for remote control
- A Sigma Pool Cleaner is a costly cleaner
- A caddy is not included in the standard supply
- The weight is significant for easier moving the pool cleaner
Considering only specific features, it isn’t easy to understand the overall advantages of obtaining the robotic cleaner. So, let’s have an overview of overall pros and cons of robotic cleaners:
- The price is high.
- Some cleaners are heavy for ladies and can be too much.
- Small steps are unreachable for cleaners.
- Typically caddies, remote controllers, and particular filters are not included in standard packages.
- Not all robots have protection from tangling.
For Dolphin Premier vs. Sigma, look below for the face-to-face comparison of the main features.
Design and Dimensions
DOLPHIN Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner with Bluetooth and Massive Top-Load Cartridge Filters
- 23 x 19.5 x 14 Inches
- 35 lbs.
Two cleaners are almost equal in weight in dimensions. The only difference is the color which might be necessary for owners searching for a perfect fit for the pool’s color.
- Triple DC Motors
- 24 volts drive
The Sigma model is more powerful based on an additional motor, creating immense suction power and better stability on vertical surfaces. Even though the Premier model is a good choice compared to another model on the market.
As a Premier model, it can clean floors, walls, waterlines, stairs with improved Smart Navigation 3.0 processor.
The Sigma model has improved Smart Navigation 3.0, helps orient and learn for cleaning, and performs better with each cleaning cycle.
This model has fewer filter options: only top-loading fine cartridge filters and standard filters.
The Premier model has a great choice of filters for every owner, but if you do not prefer to exchange filters for different cleaning cycles, the choice of two filters in the Sigma model is just fine.
The other essential features are the same for both models and shows the latest achievements for robotic cleaners:
- Rubber truck tires for moving around and up the walls
- Rubber dual scrubbing brushes with powerful drives remove all dirt from the pool
- The swivel cord prevents tangling and stoppage of not sufficient length of the cable
- The number of controlling programs – each day, every second or third day
- The 90% improved energy efficiency compared to old models
How to choose the Best Pool Robotic Cleaner?
Choosing the correct pool robotic cleaner is not easy as the choice is related to a lot of details. If you have already decided that you want the work to be entirely done by a robot without supervision as it is required for manual cleaners, and you do not want to be connected to the existing filtration system in the pool, then check the most critical aspects that should be considered for a proper choice:
After considering these main points, do not forget to check all maintenance rules for the chosen cleaner. For example, that you have access to the electricity with the required voltage, the fresh water in the hose to clean filters, and a dry place in the shade to store the cleaner, especially in the winter; the more precisely you check these rules, the longer you will experience the easy life with a robotic cleaner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Dolphin Premier or Sigma pool cleaner be stuck because of raised drains on the swimming pool floor?
Are a caddy and remote control included in the package of both cleaners?
Are there cleaners suitable for above-ground pools?
Can Dolphin Premier and Sigma pool cleaner climb the walls and stairs?
In case of a warranty case, where to go with a robotic cleaner?
These two models show a significant improvement in robotic cleaner’s technologies, providing a perfect cleaning result for each inground of the pool within two or three hours. All pros and cons are described in this article, but all words are useless before you try these the first time these cleaners. Almost all users show the highest satisfaction level of both models if it was chosen according to the pool type and other described requirements.
If the price subject is not essential for you, then Dolphin Sigma Robotic Pool Cleaner is a perfect choice, as the whole control is in your mobile phone. In addition to this, you have three DC motors instead of two as Premier Cleaner has, which decreases the working time by 30 minutes. Furthermore, this model has a top-loaded filter that is easier for proper cleaner maintenance.
But Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner has a lot of advantages as well, as two powerful scrubbing brushes and a great choice of filter options! But, unfortunately, all other characteristics are the same – the warranty, the cable length, the choice of programs, even dimensions and weight are almost identical. So, the choice between these two excellent models is a tricky one.