What pump to purchase and use?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Markus89
(@markus89)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My residential inground pool is under construction. I heard that I need to buy a pump to fill the pool and maintain regular water circulation. How do I choose the right pump?

Jane
(@jane)
Eminent Member

What size is your swimming pool, or how many gallons are in it? I have chosen the Pentair SuperFlo High Performance Pump 1HP, and it has been for three years. I have a standard rectangular pool 15 by 35 feet in size. It works quietly, has a basket for easy inspection and debris removal, and is equipped with standard 1.5” plumbing.

ReplyQuote
(@mtison)
Eminent Member

I bought the PUMPA blue line PFC-505, one of the most affordable models on the market. It has a maximum flow of 175 l/min. Surprisingly, it has worked for two years already. I have only changed the plastic impeller, it sucked some stones after the storm, and they broke the impeller. Another minus, it works with water temperatures only up to 35 degrees. But I am from the New York City area so that I can live with it. So, I must say, you do not need to buy something expensive!

ReplyQuote
 FoxD
(@foxd)
Trusted Member

Why is nobody saying whether they have one-speed or variable-speed pumps? I do not understand which model to buy and why! I want to save on electricity. I also heard about Hayward pumps. Has somebody tried the Tristar TS540 VSP?

ReplyQuote
 Ajsa
(@ajsa)
Eminent Member

I have had the Hayward Super II ECO VS 1HP for half a year. I successfully integrated it into my smart home, and it has had no problems so far. I have only changed several gaskets because of the water leaking on the connection joints after two months. I can’t say about efficiency as I have nothing to compare.

ReplyQuote
(@markus)
Trusted Member Expert

Variable speed pumps are the most efficient, especially if you have several types of pool equipment – robotic cleaner, chlorinator, and heater. It allows you to change the speed depending on the quantity of working items. But the VS pump is much more expensive. You should calculate your pump based on the pool size; the water should circulate at least 5-6 hours per day to prevent algae and bacteria from growing. There are good models from Hayward and Pentair for each size of the pool. We recommend checking our last reviews on the pool pumps.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Intex Pool Pumps
Logo