You will agree with me that water pressure boosters are becoming increasingly popular. Such a unit can guarantee you a steady flow rate in a city apartment, a private countryside house, and even in a pool. At the same time, the prices are not that high, while the contribution to your comfort and property’s value is significant.
The choice is the only problem. Hundreds of models available in the market can drive crazy anyone. That’s why, in this article, we have collected and reviewed the top ten best water pressure booster pumps that should be on your wishlist.
We will also discuss how you are supposed to select a reliable model.
What is a water pressure booster and how does it work?
Also known as a booster pump, this is a system that has been designed to increase and regulate flow rates from tanks or the municipal supply.
A pump works by bearing down on the water using compressed air. When the valve is opened, the water gushes out and is pushed through the plumbing system. At this time, the pressure will hit the maximum set limit, and the pump goes off. Water is continuously pumped while the pressure diminishes gradually until it reaches a preset low. Then, the switch will restart the system again, and the cycle continues.back to menu ↑
Who needs a water pressure booster?
Before we go into the details, it’s essential to ask ourselves, when should you buy a pump?
Several reasons will push you to buy this add-on accessory.
1. Low pressure
The ideal pressure for residential building is 45psi. A drop significant drop in pressure will make the faucets run slowly and this can be annoying especially when you’re in a hurry.
But what causes the drop in the flow rate?
- Poor plumbing – If your plumbing system wasn’t done professionally, you are likely to experiences pressure challenges. But this is rare.
- Leakages – Even the slightest leak in the main pipe may suffocate your plumbing.
- End of the line – if your home is at the end of the supply line or on a high floor, you are likely to experience low pressure.
- Peak hours – When everyone is home, most taps and faucets are running. The flow rate drops down significantly.
- Low pressure from mains supply – Most of the times, the municipal pressure is normally low, and that translates to low flow rate at home.
How to diagnose low pressure
2. Pool cleaners
Even though there are pool cleaners that can run independently, the advantages of pressure side pool cleaners are irresistible. However, they need a separate booster pump to run efficiently.
The benefits of having a booster are vast. Besides boosting flow rate, advanced models can help regulate high pressure that may overwhelm your plumbing system.
Remember, the problem is not only low pressure, but surges also occur and can be destructive.
The Top 10 Best Water Pressure Booster Pumps
17 x 9.5 x 14.5 in
120V or 240V
50 psi Maximum
9.1 x 6.7 x 5.1 in
8.8 x 9.1 x 7.5 in
15.3 x 8.6 x 15.3 in
15.35 x 11.02 x 9.45 inches
17 x 13.9 x 11.6 in
45 psi to 80 psi
16 x 9.5 x 18 in
8 x 5.1 x 4.8 in
20 x 8 x 16 in
12 x 4 x 4 in
Detailed Product Reviews
We sampled more than 20 different water pressure pumps and came up with the below shortlist of the 10 finest models.
1. Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump – Best For Pool Cleaners
Like we said earlier, among the applications of boosters is in automatic pool cleaners.
If you have the Polaris 180, 280, 380 and 3900, you will need a separate pump and the PB4-60 is the best choice.
Zodiac manufactured this particular model with the pool cleaner owners in mind. With this unit, you are guaranteed excellent performance and durability.
The PB4-60 is very easy to install and should take you around 20 minutes if you know what’s supposed to be done and you have the right tools.
Please note, installing the unit yourself voids the warranty so seek the services of a professional installer.
The solid one-piece design, especially the captured base plate dampens the vibrations. Together with the 0.75HP efficient motor, you can run it for longer, without spiking your energy bills. The single-speed unit can run on 120V or 240V depending on what you have. The output is around 50 psi maximum.
- We really like the fact that it is easy to install the PB4-60. However, it has to be installed by a professional lest the warranty is voided. Some users have also complained about leakages at the bottom of the volute and fragile components.
2. KOLERFLO 120W Booster Pump – Best Affordable Option
This unit is manufactured by the same company that produces the BOKYWOX; only the branding is different, but the design, shape, and components are the same. One thing we like about it is the automatic adjustment depending on your needs.
It will also start automatically as long as the flow rate is at least 0.6 GPM. The pump is powered by a 120W motor that comes equipped with a 200W flow switch. It can deliver up to 396GPH when working optimally and can lift water to 50ft. The maximum pressure is 21.7 psi. For all your light duty pressurization needs, the KOLERFLO is ready for the task.
- On the downside, this is not a very versatile pump. A 1.5 bar maximum won’t handle the larger tasks like increasing pressure in the mains pipe to the recommended 45psi in homes.
3. Trupow 0.1HP Mini Portable Pump with Kit – Best Compact Pump
It is the perfect choice for campers and RVs among other occasions. In addition to the affordable price, it comes with a kit. This pump will also make a good irrigation booster as it is efficient and has just enough power.
As a 0.1HP motor, don’t expect too much from this unit. But still, the 330 GPH maximum flow rate and 35ft maximum height make it a worthy pump.
As mentioned, the company included a 6ft hose while the unit uses 1/8-inch plumbing. For it to run, there should be water in the impeller lest it gets damaged.
- Unfortunately, this unit is not ideal for outdoor use. Its build quality won’t withstand the scorching sun and the biting cold in winter. Another thing, the motor heats up upon long use, so you’re restricted to short usage intervals. It’s also louder than we thought and produces quite an irritating noise. Lastly, it lacks an on/off control button.
4. Simer 3075SS Water Pump – Best Water Pressure Booster Pump For Shower
It packs enough power to handle the small to large water distribution tasks. It can be relied on as a primary pool pump, increasing the water pressure of municipal lines, and pumping a lot of water from large tanks and deep wells. Manufactured in China, you’d want to consider when there it is a worthy buy or not.
As far as the design and construction are concerned, we are contented as it can hold up the outdoor abuse. The casing is stainless steel and will withstand corrosion without a problem. As far as performance is concerned, this pump can step up your water pressure by a maximum of 40 psi at a 24GPM flow rate.
The base plate strongly holds the unit down and helps to dampen the vibrations. Connecting the pipes is pretty straightforward.
- Loud operation noise is also a concern here, but at least it is not because of the motor. The plastic fan guard gets loose and touches the fan, and that causes an irritating noise. If you encounter this, pop it out and reinstall. The seals are also not durable.
5. FLUENTPOWER 1 HP Portable Stainless Steel Pump – Best Garden Pump
FLUENTPOWER is an excellent model that you can rely on for a variety of needs. We see an all-round booster that provides 1 HP to handle both your home water distribution needs and even garden lawn irrigation.
Thus, apart from standard booster pump functions, it’s suitable for ponds, pools, sprinkling systems, flow irrigation systems, gardening, rain barrels, large aquariums, use in agriculture settings, shallow and water wells. You’ll also get a 1″ NPT female thread, but you’ll need adapters to connect it to garden hoses.
It is affordable and offers great value for money, considering its durability and top-notch performance.
This booster boasts a solid design, crafted from metal and high-grade plastic that can withstand extreme weather. By the way, the unit is portable.
The inlet and outlet are both 1 inch. Under the hood, the pump packs a 750W motor rated 1 HP. It is powerful enough to deliver a maximum bar of 60 psi.
The maximum flow rate is 845 GPH at a maximum head of 144 ft. This makes it a great pump for highrise buildings.
Finally, let me note that the product is pretty quiet for a booster pump.
- Main complaints state the already mentioned need for hose adapters and motor cooling system. The pump slows pressure after every 10-15 minutes to cool itself and avoid overheating.
Hayward is a top brand and features in this list with the Hayward 6060. It is great for pressure side pool cleaners but can also be used to increase flow rate.
Its design allows it to be installed for vertical or horizontal discharge depending on the space you have and your needs.
In the package, you will find 1-1/2-inch pipe unions and 2/3-inch hose fittings meaning you’re ready to go. On the other hand, we have 3/4-inch hose barb union adapters for existing installations.
In terms of performance, the Hayward 6060 comes with a 0.75HP motor. The 6060 can raise pressure from 45 psi to 80 psi.
It is very efficient and uses 40% less energy compared to your typical booster pumps. The motor is very quiet, and the unit has been designed with a tall mounting base that allows proper ventilation of the motor. It can run for longer without heating up.
The workmanship is excellent and will ensure that the pump withstands extreme weather.
- On the downside, this pump is quite bulky at 30 lbs, and it’s not like it is super powerful like the 1.6HP models we have reviewed. There are also a lot of complaints regarding the motor’s durability. On average, it will last for 3 years. This latest version is also not as good as the order model both in terms of performance and durability.
With a fully digital control interface, the Burcam 506532SS will not run dry. You can rely on this unit as a pump for homes, irrigation, and other water distribution needs. It can also be used as a gauge and can measure 0-100 psi.
This model is powered by a 0.75HP motor that delivers a maximum bar of 65psi. The totally enclosed fan cooled motor is durable, and together with the high-performance impellers, you are guaranteed the best in class service.
When using it as a booster where source pressure exceeds 25 psi, install a regulator. The maximum vertical lift is 25 ft. When it comes to design, the pump is stainless steel to enable it to withstand the harsh weather when installed outdoors.
- On the downside, some components are cheaply made for example the capacitor and venturi. Worse enough, replacement parts for Burcam are hard to come by. The unit also has several complains regarding leakages.
If you want to distribute clean drinking water, then this is your match. Buy it for the boat, and RV use, janitorial tasks, and general home use.
This pump is a 3-chamber positive displacement pump. It can self-prime and lift water 6ft high. It is powered by a powerful motor with overload protection and automatic restart.
SEAFLO is one of the few run-dry boosters we have tested. Another feature we liked is the adjustable automatic pressure switch. For safety and durability, SEAFLO included a built-in check Viton valve and ignition protection. The operation is quiet as the motor is totally enclosed and the rubber feet help to dampen the vibrations.
- A few things we don’t like about this SEAFLO booster pump. First, you have to get two adapters for both sides as it comes with a non-standard connecting hose. It also gets hot when running for a long time. The thermal load will activate frequently but the good thing, it has an automatic restart.
It has been designed to increase low municipal water pressure, lifting water to highrise buildings, as a pool pump, and household pressure booster.
Davy Water BT20-30 boasts an all stainless steel design meaning it can take abuse in the extreme weather.
It can be installed vertically or horizontally. The pump comes with a powerful TEFC motor complemented by high-performance impellers. When operating optimally, it can add 50 psi ensuring you get consistent water pressure.
We really liked this motor. It operates quietly and is well equipped to withstand power surges and thermal loads thus ensuring durability. The unit comes with a pressure indicator window, and easy status check LCD.
- Our only concern with this model is the high price. The performance is excellent, and in terms of durability, you don’t want anything more than stainless steel construction. The Adaptive Starting monitors incoming pressure and adjusts accordingly thus saving energy.
It has been designed for reverse osmosis setups, hydroponics/aeroponics, medical lab water, water vending and similar applications.
The CDP 8800 is very affordable and easy to set up. But note that this package doesn’t come with the switch – you have to buy it separately, but you can still do without it.
We are glad this pump works with the 3/8-inch and 1/4-inch connectors.
For ROs, order the solenoid valve or switch. It is a self-priming pump with a 60-inch maximum lift.
- One of the shortcomings of this pump is construction. It has been made from cheaply sourced plastic. The motor also overheats upon long hours of use even though the company promises a self-cooling motor courtesy of the ventilation system.
How to Select the best Water Pressure Pump
Now that we know a few things about boosters let’s explore our exclusive criteria for ranking the top models..
Which is the best pressure booster pump in the market?
We have several household names in the list including; Zodiac, Hayward, Aquatec, We always recommend these top brands; they are expensive but offer great value for money.
You can trust them on reliability and durability.
2. Build quality
Whether you’re installing your booster indoor or outdoors, it’s imperative that you ascertain the construction of the entire unit.
Go for a solid pump that can withstand the harsh conditions all year long. Still, on the construction, the materials should hold up the varying temperatures. In the specifications, you will see the temperature ranges it can withstand.
The size of the pump is important especially if you don’t have a spacious area to install the kit. We have large and compact sized pumps.
Performance is proportional to size with the large units bearing bigger components and consequently, more power.
Size is also about the size of the pipes. Find out what plumbing sizes have been installed and match it with the pump you are buying. The length of the power cord should also be enough for your connection areas.
This is the most important consideration, and it involves several aspects.
The first is the horsepower. The booster’s power is rated in horsepower with higher up implying more power. Domestic water pumps range from 0.1HP to 2.0HP.
Consider how much pressure the booster can generate. For a shower, you don’t require a pool with high maximum pressure – 30 psi would just be enough.
However, if you are looking for the best booster pump for home, consider a model with over 80psi maximum bar.
Some water booster pumps are easy to install while others may require professional help.
If you are a DIY enthusiast, installing the pump shouldn’t be a problem. Buy the household names as they also come with enough resources regarding the installation.
If you choose to do it alone, make sure this won’t void the warranty. See manufacturers insist that a professional from their accredited dealers installs the pump.
It is important that you get a model with the longest warranty. It will cover you in the event of malfunctions related to manufacturing defects. While the warranty length is paramount, also consider the genuineness of the warranty.
A lot of brands and sellers become dodgy even when customers have a legitimate complaint. On your side as a buyer, make sure to read the terms & conditions. Be aware of the things that can void your warranty.
Sizing a Pressure Tank Correctly
One important consideration when buying pumps is pressure tank sizing. Without the proper tank size, you risk having a premature pump failure.
Short cycling (pump going on and off) is also a serious concern with the improperly sized pressure tanks.
So, how do you size a pressure tank for your system?
One thing you need to be aware of is the drawdown, and this refers to the amount of stored water you will have in the system. A higher drawdown means longer runtime and consequently, lesser cycles.
The recommended cycle is at least one minute to allow for efficient motor cooling. However, the larger units rated 1HP and above may require longer runtime.
So, how do you size a pressure tank correctly? Or rather, how do you determine the drawdown?
There are three vital factors to consider.
- First is the pump flow rate in gallons per minute (GPM)
- Second is the desired runtime
- Last is the cut-in and cut-out pressure
To arrive at the drawdown of the tank, multiply the flow rate by the runtime.
How to Install your Water Pressure Booster
If you are a DIY enthusiast, it’s easy to install your pump thus saving you around $200 in labor costs. First, make sure that installing it yourself will not void the warranty.
Before anything else, make sure you confirm the local regulations. Some regions have laws that require the work to be done by a professional. Once you are sure about this, you can go on with the installation.
- Now, the first thing you need to do is ensuring your water is shut off completely. Drain all the pipes by leaving the faucets open and draining any air in the plumbing system.
- The next stage will be to find the perfect spot to install the pump. This depends on the type of pump (indoor or outdoor) and also the application. For running your pool and pool cleaner, the installation will definitely be at the poolside. For boosting municipal water, you will have to find a perfect place when you can access the electricity mains.
- Once you find the perfect spot, reroute the main water pipes, and this is a critical stage. Align the unit to its permanent position with where you are going to cut the main pipe. Clean the area with emery paper to ensure the fittings grip the pipe. Then make accurate cuts for the inlet and outlet and fix the pipes tightly.
- Now, a good part of the job is done with the remaining bit being installing an RPZ valve or reinstalling it if it was there. A pressure gauge at the booster’s outlet will also be necessary to help you monitor the pressure with great accuracy.
- Once the plumbing work is done, it’s now time to connect it to the power. First, check the voltage; whether 110/115V or 230/240V – make sure you have the right pump. We recommend that you have a GFCI circuit for safety and if need be, hire the services of an electrician. You don’t want to make blunders with the electrical connection of the pump.
- Last, it will be time to test the unit. But first, drain any excessive air in the system by turning on the main water valve. Do this for a few minutes and turn everything back on. It’s as simple as that!
Water Pressure Pump Maintenance
A lot of homeowners have been asking, how long do water pressure boosters last? Well, it largely depends on the type, brand and overall workmanship of the unit.
Below are some helpful maintenance tips.
- 1. Daily, inspect the pump and make sure there are no leaks, fissures and other damages. Also, confirm that the pump’s speed corresponds to the output in horsepower.
- 2. Monthly, check the seals and bearings and ensure they are all in order. You can also change the motor couplings to ensure it is running optimally.
- 3. Annually, have the pump checked and serviced by a technician. You will be advised on what needs to be changed for example the bearings and drive belts. The technician should also evaluate the motor’s performance by analyzing the temperature and vibrations.
Above all, use the water pressure booster for the right job. While many DIY enthusiasts may find other uses of the pump, it may wear them down faster if used for the wrong reasons.
Where to buy Water Pressure Boosters
Pumps can be purchased online or in local stores. Each avenue has its advantages and disadvantages.
The local stores are great if you don’t want to wait for the rather long turnaround time of online stores. It will also be cheaper and easier to find an installer. Most local stores will even offer to install the unit for free courtesy of the in-house technicians. Unfortunately, there is no variety, and the prices will be higher.
On the other hand, online stores offer a wide variety of models from different global brands. The prices are also very affordable because of the stiff competition amongst the vast list of sellers. The convenience of online shopping is also something to smile about. Just order online and have the booster pump delivered at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do shower booster pumps work?
3. Do I need a pump for my pool?
4. What is cut-in and cut-off pressure?
5. Does pipe size affect pressure?
7. Which water pressure booster pump is the best?
8. How do you size a booster pump?
9. Zodiac BP4-60 vs Binxin: which booster pump is more powerful?
10. How much pressure can Hayward 6060 booster pump generate?
11. Why do you need a water pressure booster pump?
There you have it folks; the best water pressure booster pumps for 2021. Indeed, this plumbing accessory is necessary. Besides increasing your flow rate, it can help regulate high pressure which is also detrimental to your plumbing system and also leads to water wastage.
Which is your favorite model, and why? Talk to our experts in the comments section below.